MOVIN’ ON :: Pure Soul Music Barcelona :: October 5th
At JAZZ ROOM
Calle Vallmajor 33 – Plaza d’Adria (Barcelona)
23:30 h – 05:00 h
Admission: 10 euros (including drink)
MARC FORREST (GER)
HELENA STROMDAHL (SWE)
+ MOVIN’ ON Djs: Edu Domingo, Marcos Juandó & Cristina Alonso
+++ Saturday Soul Sessions at MINUSA (Carrer Valencia 166, Barcelona)
SATURDAY 5th – from 17:00h til 20:00h – Free entry
[ Next date :: December 6th/7th 2013 :: MOVIN’ ON SOUL WEEKENDER :: Guest DJs > BUTCH (UK) + ARTHUR FENN (UK) + STEVE GUARNORI (UK) + … more info coming soon ]
MARC FORREST (GER)
* Which was your first experience into the rare soul world? If it was a club, which one was it? I first got in touch with Afro American music better late than never (sorry guys, so much work PLUS illness last week..) anyway, here we go, my short (LOL) bio Marc Forrest: started my love affair with black music as a (very) young b boy on the streets of Berlin (West-berlin as it was cold war times still back then) in 1982. Only two years later I discovered the beauty of 1960s Soul thru my mums Motown record collection. Since then I hardly heard or bought anything else than just that: Soul music. Except for a few mod records in my teens and later on rocksteady in my suedehad days this was and up till today is the soundtrack of my life. When the Berlin mods decided to put on their first new years eve nighter in 1986 no one wanted to deejay as chasing the girls and getting drunk seemed much more enjoyable. So it was up to me to sit the whole night behind the
decks! BUt it was much to my liking and I discovered the pleasures deejaying can bring you. Back and from then onwards I deejayed as “Agent-oo-Soul” but I soon started to be a bit more innovative and surprising and changed my DJ name to my real name Marc around that time I also had the idea to start and run my own Soul nights and allnighters. Together with two friends I started to organize the first and biggest German allnighters in 1989 that attracted up to 1500 people each time. Because of their success I also organized the very first German Soul Weekender in 1990 but that was a financial desaster. Taking my inspiration from a German Motown picture sleeve 45 by Jr. Walker I not only decided to start but also to call it Hip City Soul Club. We just celebrated the 23rd anniversary this july.
* Which is your main aim or interest when playing your records to a soul crowd? I like to discover, hear and play new and fresh things but still wiggle in my seat or on the dancefloor when I hear great classic Soul tunes that I heard first as a 14 year old! So it just has to have that certain little sth to get me movin`n´groovin…
* If you’ve been playing for Movin’ On before, how do you rate your previous experience? If not, just tell us what do you expect it to be. This will be my first time in Barcelona and knowing the great taste and standard the spanish and catalan soul crowd has I am REALLY looking forward to it!
# Top Ten #
Point Of View – I`m Superman
Waltiea Maxwell – Funky Generation
Marys Party Track, Jim & Nat – I Don`t Need No Help ( I Can Do Bad By Myself)
Prophets – Baby I Need Your Loving
Melba Moore – Finders, Keepers
Flash McKinley – Which Way Did She Go
Herman Hitson – Why Not Me
Little Pam & The Sweet Sweetbacks c/up
Enjoyables – Do the Jerk
HELENA STROMDAHL (SWE)
* Which was your first experience into the rare soul world? If it was a club, wich one was it? My first encounter with the rare soul world was in 1998, when a skinhead guy in my school took me to the Backstreet Northern Soul Allnighter in Copenhagen. I was 16 at the time and got totally hooked straight away.
* Which is your main aim or interest when playing your records to a soul crowd? To make people enjoy themselves, but hopefully also play them something new and something that really hits the soft soul spot within.
* If you’ve been playing for Movin’ On before, how do you rate your previous experience? If not, just tell us what do you expect it to be. Haven’t visited the club before, but I’ve heard loads of good things about it from each and everyone who’s been there. I expect a crowd with great interest in soul music and that’s up for dancing the night away, and I expect to hear some great stuff from the residents and other guest djs.
# Top Ten #
Al James & The New Rhythm Band – Give me up turn me loose – Alocis
Willie Makkit – All my love – Paradox
Diane Jenkins – I need you – Creative Funk
Frankie Nieves – True love – Speed
Bob & Gene – I really really love you – MoDo
Superbs – Where or when – Doré
Carolyn Crawford – If you move, you lose – PIR
Larry Sanders – This is my prayer – Sound of Soul
Joe McKeever – Dance with me – AMS
D Watson – Say what’s on your mind – RAC
* Which was your first experience into the rare soul world? If it was a club, wich one was it? Mi primera allnighter y la primera vez que baile hasta la madrugada fue en el año 1985 en Villalba (Madrid) en una fiesta para recaudar fondos para un rally mod a Lloret de Mar que se celebro ese mismo año, no recuerdo el nombre del sitio, lo organizaba una sociedad Mod que se llamaba Keeps on Burning y su logo era una antorcha ardiendo, muy Soul. Sonaron muchos temas de rare Soul vía recopilatorios de Kent records, Soul Supply, Inferno y algunos singles.
* Which is your main aim or interest when playing your records to a soul crowd? Mi mayor interés es que la gente disfrute y se lo pase bien, también está el compartir la música obviamente.
* If you’ve been playing for Movin’ On before, how do you rate your previous experience? If not, just tell us what do you expec it to be. He pinchado en el Movin On en dos ocasiones anteriormente y el recuerdo que tengo es muy bueno, he disfrutado mucho poniendo música. Me gusta mucho el Movin On, siempre que puedo acudo.
# Top Ten #
Alex Brown – I’m not responsible – Sundi
O’Jays – Use ta be my girl – Phil
Richard Caiton – I’m gonna love you more – Malaco
Philip James – Keep on loving – Longwood
Brothers Scott & Co. Band – Looking into the future – BSC
Teodor’- Love message – Shatter
Lenard Lidell – Fallen out of love – Jara
Bobby Womack – Tell me why – Beverly Green
Franklyn – Future love – Genora
Michael Boothman Touch – What you don’t do for love – Touch
+ MOVIN’ ON DJs: Eduardo Domingo, Marcos Juandó & Cristina Alonso